Spiritual Discipline Exposed
Okay, so I’m just a normal mom. I’m no mental giant. But I have to share with you that I’m turning into an intellectual of sorts.
Last year I started taking theology classes. Yes, I was scared to death at first. Recognizing that college was a few years back—okay, so maybe it was many years back—I wondered if I could actually study and learn.
I found out something amazing. When you are studying the things of God it’s not really studying it’s, it’s igniting—igniting something that’s already in you and by working at reading and learning you simply fan into flame what’s already there.
My first class was on spiritual disciplines. One of the books we had to read was Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth by Richard J. Foster. Let me definitively say this is not one man’s idea of how to “find god” like the deceived guru sending Oprah down a wide path of destruction. (Yeah, she makes me want to scream, but I’ll save that for a later date.) This book explains the spiritual disciplines of the Bible and challenges its readers to fully embrace and practice them so that they will have a fuller and deeper understanding of God and His grace.
Just to give you an idea, here are some quotes from this book:
- God has given us the disciplines of the spiritual life as a means of receiving His grace. The disciplines allow us to place ourselves before God so that He can transform us.
- God spoke to them not because they had special abilities, but because they were willing to listen.
- If what we have we receive as a gift, and if what we have is to be cared for by God, and if what we have is available to others, then we will possess freedom from anxiety.
- The tongue is our most powerful weapon of manipulation. A frantic stream of words flows from us because we are in a constant process of adjusting our public image.
- In the spiritual life only one thing will produce genuine joy, and that is obedience.
These are just a very few of the nuggets I underlined in my book. The biggest realization I got from this book is the fact that every mother needs to read it and be intentional about teaching her children to practice spiritual disciplines.
Go get the book – read it, you will learn much! Yes, you are just a normal mom, no mental giant … but are you ready to be ignited?