A Little Hospitality Help
Hospitality is not my strong suit, let me just be honest. But I’m always inspired when I’m going through my magazines and I see a nicely decorated table or a beautifully made pie. I think to myself, I can do that … then I try and realize it is not my gift.
Fortunately there is a woman I know who has been blessed with the gift of hospitality and recently shared with me a list of ideas for the holiday season that has been very helpful for those of us who might struggle in this area:
- Keep frozen pie crust in the freezer for quick apple or peach pies.
- Make cinnamon coffee by sprinkling 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon over regular coffee in the coffee filter. Brew as usual.
- Keep canned chili in the pantry. Serve hot with corn chips, grated cheese, and sour cream on top.
- Make a quick breakfast: Keep refrigerator-type crescent rolls on hand. Roll out dough and connect all together on a cookie sheet, mix up one block of cream cheese with 3/4 cup powdered sugar and spread on dough. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until browned. Cut in slices and enjoy.
- Make your own spiced tea mix and keep it on hand on your counter. Mix one can Tang powder, one small jar iced tea mix (with lemon and sugar), one teaspoon cinnamon, one teaspoon cloves. To prepare, put two-three tablespoons in a cup and add water. Microwave on high for one and a half minutes.
- Keep muffin mixes in your pantry. They are very quick to prepare and they taste great with butter and a cup of coffee.
- Keep a fudge pie in your freezer for a great last minute dessert. Warm in the microwave for 45 seconds and serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Buy seasonal candies and place them in a candy dish for people who enter your home or apartment to enjoy.
- Keep corn or rice squares cereal, raisins, small pretzels, and chocolate candies on hand: mix all together in a bowl for a great snack mix.
- Keep cheddar cheese and grapes in the fridge.
All these great tips have been very helpful to me as I entertain this season. I believe that entertaining is one way we can share our love for others and these tips remind me that it is the little things that show that we love, not a beautifully decorated table. I hope this list helps you as much as it does me.