Everything I Know About God I Learned From My Kids
I don’t know about you, but when I became a mom it seemed that every time I opened my mouth, I’d hear my parents speaking. The things I heard over and over again growing up immediately popped into my head. It didn’t matter that I’d always told myself I’d parent differently, speak differently.
But lately, it seems that God has been trying to get my attention with my own words. In fact, if I take the time to listen, I can hear God’s voice in many of the things I tell my kids throughout the day.
Sometimes it’s God telling me to trust in his timing…
- I told you, it’s for your own good.
- Let me show you how to do it.
- Tomorrow’s another day. Don’t worry about what might happen then.
- I would never lie to you.
- Why did you listen to them and not me?
- Here, hold my hand.
- Don’t wander too far.
- Trust me. I know what’s best.
Sometimes it’s God telling me I need to fix my actions and my attitude…
- Think before you act.
- Remember whose family you’re in.
- Why do you leave these messes for me to clean up?
- Are you trying to test my patience?
- Tell him you’re sorry.
- Are you acting in love right now?
- Sit still for a minute, you’re driving me crazy.
- What are you so worked up about?
- You’re right, life isn’t fair.
- You better change your attitude.
- It doesn’t matter what everyone else is doing…
- You don’t need that as much as you think you do.
- Please share.
And sometimes what God is saying through my words is that he cares…
- I love you.
- You have the prettiest eyes.
- Go ahead, I’m listening.
- Come here and let me hold you for a while.
- Have I told you lately how special you are?
- I love it when you smile.
- I did it all for you.
So next time you hear those words coming from your mouth, stop and consider: Is this also a message God wants to speak to your heart today?