Some Fun Things About Getting Older
I don’t feel old. Okay, so I do have 14 grandchildren with another one due any day, and I think magnifying mirrors are the worst invention ever. But so what if I tire more easily and can’t multitask to the extent that I used to? I am not old. In fact on the days when I go for a good long run I feel about 38—that is until a 30-something races past me without even breathing hard.
However, I have found that there are many things I like about getting older:
- We don’t feel like we have to prove ourselves the way we did when we were young.
- We realize some things aren’t as big a deal as we once thought they were.
- We don’t have toddlers pulling on every part of our bodies 24/7.
- We have a bigger collection of funny stories to tell because we’ve live through more seasons of life.
- We can laugh more easily at the mistakes we made “back then.”
- We’re a little wiser than we once were.
- We’re not as afraid to say what we really think and sometimes younger people actually ask us for advice.
- We don’t have to concentrate as much on building our resumes.
- We have more clarity as to what we are good at and what we aren’t and this knowledge enables us to make better decisions.
- We’ve had time to begin to understand that God is patient. He does what is best not necessarily what is fast.
- We have lived long enough to see God bring a prodigal home, redeem a broken marriage, reconcile a relationship, and provide in miraculous ways over and over again.
- Because of the years gone by, we have experienced the faithfulness of God in various situations and if we meditate on our collection of His faithful acts, it enables us to trust Him for the future.
The bad news is we are getting older. The good news is we are getting older. And with age and experience come wisdom!
We’d love to hear from you. So send along the things you are finding that are fun about getting older. This applies to each one of us—we are all older than someone else!