Observations of a Pool Rat
Countless summer hours at the pool not only resulted in raisin-textured skin. My fellow pool rats and I also had these profound observations:
- The promise of spending the rest of the day in the water is a great motivator for kids and mom to finish daily chores.
- However, we do relax our standards a bit during the summer. An extra thick layer of dust equals UV protection for furniture.
- Parenting and marriage issues can always be solved with fellow pool rats in the water.
- Husbands appreciate more oft-shaved, pool-ready legs.
- Vacation ideas, new recipes, and shopping tips are shared but can be quickly forgotten without pen and paper.
- Kids’ imaginations and bravery soar at the pool.
- No matter how large and empty the pool, a mom relaxing on a vinyl raft becomes a kid-magnet.
- Meals taste better eaten pool-side.
- The kitchen stays cleaner when eating pool-side, too!
- Less laundry piles up when kids spend the day in swimsuits.
- Men reclaim their childish abandon when given a pair of goggles and some diving sticks.
- Pool rats are exhausted by 8 p.m. so chlorine can sometimes double as a bath.
- Wet pool toys left in the car equals nasty musty smell. Store toys in a mesh laundry bag and hang on a hook in the garage.
- Banana Boat and Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen are choice perfumes of a pool rat.
That’s as deep as this pool rat can think with my sun-addled brain during the summer!